Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Romeo Castelen ready to turn on the style for Western Sydney Wanderers


Romeo Castelen (right) in action against Wellington Phoenix.
Romeo Castelen (right) in action against Wellington Phoenix. 
FOR weeks on end he has kicked his heels - a frustrated spectator as his teammates have gone on to be champions of Asia.
But finally Romeo Castelen gets the chance of a leading role, as the Wanderers bid to pull their A-League campaign out of a rut on Saturday night in Perth.
The 31-year-old Dutchman hopes for only his third start for Western Sydney at the weekend, having signed just too late for inclusion in the Asian Champions League.
But any irritation at being sidelined has quickly become motivation at the prospect of taking part in the Club World Cup, and a possible date with Real Madrid.
“It’s been very hard, I was here at the very beginning but I knew I would not be able to play in any of the games in the ACL,” Castelen said.
“At the time you think, that’s just how it is. But then the guys are training for a specific game, doing all the preparation, so it was difficult.
“But equally they made me very happy, because of the boys I get to play in the Club World Cup. Everybody gets the chance to help the team out and I’m so happy to the boys for winning the Asian championship.
“It gives us a big stage to show ourselves and put the club in a bigger spotlight.
The fitness levels and performances still expected to come from Castelen are one of the reasons why Tony Popovic remains unconcerned about Western Sydney’s winless start to the season.
The player himself predicts an almost immediate improvement, and is likely to get the run of games he craves as one of the freshest members of the squad.
“As a footballer, the more games you get the more fit you are and the more in tune with the team,” he said. “It takes time, but in a couple of weeks I think I will be ready. “I’m not the sort of player who needs a lot of games to hit my stride, already I’m looking forward to the next game.
“I’ve not had regular games, it’s been a few weeks to get a run again [between the Sydney derby and Phoenix last weekend] til I get a run again.
“It’s been a bit different, but now there is the chance of a lot of games one after the other. Now I can really enjoy myself, get my shape back and get into form.”
At least he will have got through the two toughest away trips in quick succession, with the trip to Perth preceded by that eye-opening journey to Wellington.
“It’s a difficult thing in Australia, now I’ve had my first major trip I know what the boys are going through playing in Asia midweek and flying back,” he said.
“It’s very tough, which makes what they achieved all the bigger. But now all the players are back, and the ACL is behind us, we can focus on the A-League.
“It’s never nice to lose games, but it’s a huge boost just knowing we are the champions of Asia. We have to switch on to a new competition, basically start all over again. We have to prove ourselves on the pitch, and we will get better over time.”


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comment